CAMPSITE # 21 - Charlie's back in action!!!

Yes, they're the worlds goofiest smiles on both of our faces ...
...but we didn’t care – we were (and still are and still will be for weeks to come) absolutely ecstatic to have Charlie Troopcarrier back in action.

JB’s Auto Electrical & Mechanical Services in Yass were absolutely amazing!! I think we shook Peter’s hand about 4 times each just out of sheer relief and praise for such a great job he had done. And to top it off, the price fell in the lower end of the quote than the higher... which doesn’t happen often but feels damn good when it does.
We returned Hope, and didn’t look back. We don’t need Hope anymore, we have Charlie – the real deal!! We decided we needed to start afresh with Charlie, a clean slate to work on. So we drove him up to the car wash and gave him a good wax job, belly rubbing and some tender lovin’ care. Which in reality he didn’t actually deserve but like I said – clean slate.
Driving back in Charlie along the 50km road that we drove into Yass in Hope the day prior felt completely different. We had the windows right down, Mumford & Sons blaring on the stereo on such a glorious day with not a cloud in the sky.

Four weeks ago, when we were at the free campsite just outside of Dubbo, we met some grey nomads that said to us if we’re ever near the town of Wee Jasper, we should definitely stay at Billy Grace’s Camping Reserve. They said they loved the site – even after 6 years on the road it still stood as one of their favourites. How could we not go there?
So we arrived at a site overflowing with green grass, gum trees and Amy friendly facilities (hot showers). We nestled Charlie right up next to the river bank and sat him down for a rather stern conversation. I told Tom we needed to talk to him like parents whose 16 year old had just returned home after having run away for a week. Charlie now fully understands his requirements from here on in and has promised that he will be on his absolute best behaviour.

After we took care of the legalities, we were then free to spend the rest of the afternoon enjoying the sunshine and relaxing.
Today, Tom panned for gold – the geologist has spoken – there is no gold in this creek. Tom disappeared on a one hour long adventure and returned with two worms, a tree sap that’s about to turn into a rock that is apparently great for cranking any fire and half a dozen tea light candles foolishly left behind by a previous camper. Tom caught another fish, the same type as the last three – the pest that you’re not supposed to throw back. LOL

Today, Amy tore her once jeans into jean shorts. Amy lay in the sun for hours working on her tan. Amy cooked dinner.

All in all, a very tough life we live (now that we have the Troopie back of course). Over the next week, we plan to slowly make our way to Kosciusko National Park where we plan on reinacting The Man From Snowy River... Amy & Tom style.

We had climb into the cabin of the Troopie before the sun had fully disappeared. We were both so excited to return to the sleeping comfort & warmth that we’d been deprived of for what felt like eternity. And it was the best night’s sleep we’d had in at least... 10 sleeps ;)

I’m a big believer in what goes around comes around. Pass on a good deed to somebody else and it will be return onto you.
When we were leaving Yass, there was a nice Japanese couple camped next to us who were staying in town for fruit picking. One of the backs of their chairs was broken. After purchasing two brand spanking new Coleman’s Comfy Camping Chairs, we just so happened to have one of the old ones spare. When we were leaving, the couple had left for work hours beforehand... we left our spare chair sitting at their campsite with a little note from their neighbours. Good deed given by us – check.

Upon leaving the Billy’s Grace Reserve site, money bags Tom only had a $50 note for the honesty box of $15. He practically tackled the ranger when he drove past and explained to him our predicament. The ranger confirmed we’d only stayed one night and said he couldn’t be bothered going back inside to get the change so “It’s on me”. Good deed returned to us – check.

We have since agree that while Billy Grace’s Campsite doesn’t in anyway rival that of Pebbly Beach, it has been awarded Campsite # 2 of the entire trip thanks to its peaceful surroundings and glorious outdoor setting.
Having now been on the road for just short of 6 weeks, I feel it’s important to reflect on what we’ve learnt so far. Trips like these are generally once in a lifetime opportunities and we plan to embrace every second of it.

What I don’t miss about being on the road?
  •                Worrying about all the smaller things – bills, work, meeting deadlines, what people think of you
  •                 Working 5-6 days a week leaving you with very little time to play
  •                 Surprisingly I don’t (yet) miss sleeping in a proper bed that is of course when we have Charlie in action
  •                 Spending way too much $$$ on eating out & take away

What I do miss when on the road?
  • Knowing when my next hot shower will be
  •  Having a washing machine on hand that you can just bung it all in and don’t have to insert coins
  • Having friends over to join us for drinkie poos around the campfire
  • Not seeing my two adorable nephews grow from gorgeous little babies to mischievous little toddlers
  • Being able to shower without thongs (British translation – I don’t shower in my G-String, just my flip flops) on!!!

What have I learnt about myself while on the road?
  • I love cooking, I don’t care if it’s gourmet dinners or campfire meals or baking – I’m loving it!
  • I’m really enjoying writing. I know it’s just a blog but I’ve never done anything like this before – I think the longest I’ve ever keep a diary was for 3 days... it’ll be gold for us in a few years time to read back on it all
  • I’ve learnt that I used to worry about those smaller things in life – way too much!
  • Most importantly, I’ve learnt that living life and family & friends is far more important than becoming ‘somebody’ that you think you’re expected to be. Afterall, you don’t live to work, you work to live.

What do I love about being on the road?
  • I love it when Charlie works the way he should!!!
  • I love the excitement of not knowing where we’ll be 24hrs / 1 week / 1 month from now
  • I love feeling so free – it’s healthy on the soul
  • And this one’s cheesy I know, but I love sharing such a great adventure with Tom and I look forward to creating all of these cool memories that we’ll reflect on for years to come.       

It was never easy for us to just pack up and quit the jobs that we were already enjoying.. but I guess sometimes you’ve just gotta bite bullet – set a goal and stick to it. No regrets from the two of us that’s for sure!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your two nephews miss you too xxoo (and so does their Mum - and possibly their Dad but he would never admit it!)

Anonymous said...

Great writing, great tales, great trippin' along under the southern sun...pls have a beer for me and toast the Southern Cross one night,
Greg x