CAMPSITE # 151 - A birthday in Cooktown

As I lay in bed on the eve of my 27th Birthday, Tom turned to me to give me a bushy beard kiss on my cheek and asked "What would you like to do tomorrow? We can do anything you like."


I lay there, staring into nothingness beyond the ceiling of our tent as I thought long and hard about my options. Perhaps a picnic in the park on a sunny day in Cooktown? Or maybe a birthday lunch at the local seafood restaurant? Or a day on the cruise boat exploring Far North Queensland by sea? 


But one thing stood out the most, one thing that I desperately wanted to do on my birthday. If I only asked to do one thing all day, it would be to take Tom to the local Barber and get rid of that bloody beard!! After hearing him complain about his discomfort from his itchy face for the last few weeks, he not surprisingly very quickly obliged.


The next morning, I woke in the three man tent all alone. As I opened my sleepy eyes and turned my ears onto listening mode, I heard two Simpsons rustling about on the other side of the tent. As they heard my morning groans and moans from waking up, the two of them unzipped the tent and all I saw was a giant flash of rainbow colours flying at my face. Next thing I knew, the entire tent was overflowing with balloons. They had been up since dark, very delicately attempting to blow up balloons and hang streamers with out waking me. From that point right until the end of the day, we were in happy party mode, and we had a great old time!..




And what about the beard? Well, fate stepped in and organised for a mobile hairdresser to conveniently camp in the same Caravan Park as us. For $10 Tom got his beard done. Then I decided he needed the hair done to match. Then I decided I needed a trim. All up... $50! I love mobile hairdressers!!


My lumberjack boyfriend...


My new boyfriend with a hairdo that finally matched his age!!...


In June 1770, Captain James Cook left his seriously damaged ship on coral reef, the Endeavour, and rowed ashore in search of an safe harbour to repair their ship and replenish supplies. He climbed to the top of Grassy Hill for a vantage point over the bay and mapped a safe passage for his vessel to sail through the surrounding reefs. Cook named the river the "Endeavour" after his ship, and, as they later sailed north, he hoisted the flag known as the 'Queen Anne Jack' and claimed possession of the whole eastern coast of Australia for Britain. He named Cape York Peninsula after the then Duke of York ("The Grand Old Duke of York").


On top of Grassy Hill...


This rock stands where it is believed to be the place the Cook first set foot on Australia...



On route to Cooktown, we passed through Bloomfield and were rather amused by their signs on display...



 Not so amused by the giant salty sunny itself on the river bank...
What's with the mouth open thing? Just busying showing us who's boss?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your dude is an ok looking bloke. Not sure why he felt the need to grow a beard. What a nice birthday surprise! I fear your trip is coming to an end and there will be no more Tom and Amy. Could you just go around Oz one more time?