CAMPSITE # 26 - THE BIG CLIMB!!

I laughed at Tom, the day he told me he wanted to climb to Mt Kosciuszko, the highest point in Australia. I think I may have even lovingly rolled my eyes at him "Yeeeah, sure Tom I'll climb to the top with you" (And pigs might fly!!). This coming from the girl that would jump in her car to drive 300metres to go and pick up some milk. Unlike Tom, I don't thrive on walking, instead I find a way to get around it.. walking has always just been a pain in the butt and through my eyes overexerting yourself unnecessarily.


Dozens of times along the pathway to Mt Kosicuszko, I really wished that I had walked those 300metres instead of drove, and played more Netball leading up to the trip, and did 5000 starjumps before I went to bed every night that way I would be at least remotely fit. Bloooooody hell!! If you're not sure whether or not you're unfit, get your boyfriend to drag you up to the top of the highest mountain in the country and believe me... you will know. The loop around is a total of 13.5kms if you take the chair lift and 18kms if you don't take the chair lift. I thought at least by taking the chairlift up the first part then I would manage a bit better.

The first 500metres were the most painful 500metres I have EVER walked. It wasn't even that steep it just had a crapload of stairs.. I HATE STAIRS. I was puffing and panting and stopping every 12 seconds, I honestly thought I couldn't go on. How the hell was I ready to pass out less that 5% of the way into it? Meanwhile, two little gromits no older than 5years skipped by as they overtook me... grrrrr.



Once we arrived at the first lookout just 2kms into the trip, I plonked myself on a rock. I could barely breath. It was bloody windy and we were walking against it! I was so mad at myself for being there and putting myself through such agony. I could feel my face turning green. I couldn't do it. I so badly wanted to give up but the stubborn woman inside of me just couldn't walk those 2kms back with my tail between my legs. I have summersaulted out of a plane face first thousands of feet above ground and I can't even walk up a stupid mountain?! I wanted to crawl up into a ball and pass out.

 I remember looking up at Tom. He had the huge big beady eyes practically bouncing out of their sockets. He was so desperately excited. The was a huge comfy space of seat-like rock available next to me, not only could he not sit down but he couldn't stop moving his feet, running over to climb to the top of other rocks just to see if he could get a better view. Bloody Hell! Does this boy ever slow down? Apparently not. And thankfully not. Because I peeled myself off the rock, jump up on the pathway, told myself to get over it, grandmas could do a better job. And I didn't look back. We were climbing to the summit just hopefully sooner rather than later.

Amazingly, there was A LOT of snow as you climb higher and higher. We were really surprised since it was just over a week until summer was about to begin. There were a few points where we were climbing (me on hands & knees and Tom bouncing) over snow more than a metre deep. It was incredible. To think that just under 2 hours beforehand we were standing in shorts and singlets in the beaming sun and now we were battling gale force winds and treking over the snow. Our pace dramatically increased once we saw the sign of 1.65kms to the summit. We were so close and we were definitely not turning back. We were actually going to do it, reach the highest point in the entire country. As we approached the final bend and saw the brick pyramid ahead, we knew we had done it. We were standing amongst the clouds and had to yell at each other through the wind. Once we reached the pyramid, we had to hug it so we wouldn't get blown away.

It was the most liberating feeling in the world. Right at that very point, we felt so alive, freaking cold but also alive. While others back home were sitting behind their desks at work, answering the phone and counting down the hours left until home time - we had climbed through snow and reached the top of Australia and felt like we were on top of the world.


I realised how lucky I was to have Tom. Because I NEVER would have suggested to do it. And boy did I need somebody VERY patient and encouraging to help me get up there. And as much as it felt like my heart was pumping out of my chest... I did it. We did it. And it was absolutely incredible.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

easy

Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to say something about snow but actually will just say WELL DONE! and good effort Amy and thanks for actually remembering to tell us geeks out here how high it is Tom! Cool vid, you guys are pros! But what can top that?!
(btw am snowed in at home, it's been snowing for over 48hours non stop!)
Greg x