CAMPSITE # 132 - Hann River Rest Area, Gibb River Rd

On our map, scenic places are generally highlighted in pink. The Gibb River Road was flooded with pink. There were so many gorges, waterfalls and points of interest to visit, the toughest decision being - which ones to see?!

We started the day bright and early, eager to squeeze in as much as humanly possible in one day. We set off on the one hour round trip to the viewing point of Lennard Gorge. While Lennard Gorge was quite picturesque to look at, standing at the viewing point, we were still a good 100metres away from the 'action', we knew we could do and see better.

Tom enjoyed his monthly wash along the way ;)


That's when we found "Galvan's Gorge". Without a doubt, Galvan's Gorge is absolutely the best gorge / waterhole I have EVER seen. It wasn't a massively impressive waterfall with water thrashing about while it frantically raced downstream, instead it was a calm and gentle place that instantly made you feel relaxed simply by gazing upon it. We were both overwhelmed with amazement at how peaceful it was.



Aboriginal rock art on the rocks surrounding the gorge...

I found the most perfectly shaped giant rock alongside the water to nestle onto and I sat there. I closed my eyes, listened to the water gently trickling away and began to take long, deep breaths attempting to consume my lungs with every single inch of the tranquility that surrounded me. I could feel my skin tingling as everything inside of me was buzzing with excitement. At that moment, I imagined I was holding a little wooden box in the palm of my hand, I mentally took a snapshot of the every single detail of my new fairytale land, delicately wrapped it up and carefully placed it inside my imaginary wooden box.
For years to come, once I return to the 'real world' if I ever feel down or somber, I will sit down, close my eyes, take long deep breaths and open my imaginary wooden box.


I just couldn't help myself, even though I was highly unprepared for a swim, I threw my sunnies on the ground, emptied my pockets and ran straight in fully clothed. I'm normally the ultra cautious one who waits for Tom to enter and not be eaten by crocodiles which then gives me the ok to go in myself. But this was different, it was just too beautiful to pass up. We had one of the most refreshing freshwater dips ever. It was all so liberating, we felt brand new.

Creek crossings... we love creek crossings!!
Hann River Rest AreaRating : 9 / 20Facilities : They're aren't a lot of rest areas on Gibb River Road and the ones that are there aren't signposted so not that easy to find. Fire allowed, no amenities, right next to the river. 6 additional points due to it being free.

Site :

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They could be just sunning themselves in a crevice, ready to pounce and snap. I think I would be too scared.