CAMPSITE # 106 - Streaky Bay

Paying a visit to Streaky Bay in South Australia has always been very high on my to-do list. My Grandpa and Nanna lived in Streaky Bay for 40 or so years so I recall as a child visiting this quiet little coastal town during my school holidays.


I didn't remember that much about the place, but knew it would all start flooding back to me once we were there. 


It was even more beautiful than I remembered it. Streaky Bay really is paradise by the bay. The town is very clean & neatly presented. The people are very polite and friendly. Tom and I visited the OP Shop to try to find a new kitchen knife as our current one was practically useless. At the OP shop, we met Alice. Alice used to run Meals On Wheels with my Nanna many years ago and her son and daughter now own and live in Nannas old place. Alice was a lovely lady who was very eager to hear about how Nanna is doing and was quick to share with us some lovely old stories. Even though I never lived in Streaky Bay, I still felt as though part of me belonged there. 


Nanna's place looked VERY different. If I wasn't already told where it was,
I would have driven right on by...

Nanna's old neighbour at #13.


Tom and I spent the afternoon in the sunshine at 22 degrees fishing off the same jetty my Grandpa used to catch fish from many moons ago. While Tom didn't catch fish like my Grandpa used to, he certainly had some great success with squid...




Streaky was so beautiful that it has now been upgraded as our favourite town to date on the trip. I could very easily retire in Streaky Bay.




Site : Streaky Bay Caravan Park
Rating : 12 / 20
Facilities : Fantastic camping spots, right on the bay with direct access to the water. Really good & super hot showers. Slightly pricey at $23 for an unpowered site.

2 comments:

Red Nomad OZ said...

The SA coast is SO underrated ... and there's nothing quite like an SA autumn!! Enjoy!!

Oz Troopers said...

I agree. We were both so amazed by how beautiful & pristine the SA coast was. Some of the nicest I've seen. That's a big call too, coming from a Queenslander!! :)