CAMPSITE # 116 - Home ground advantage

After you spend a solid 8 months of your life living out the back of a truck, occasionally you just need to take some time off and have a little break. Sometimes, going back to 'reality' and revisiting your old life is necessary in order to find the energy to keep you going strong for the four months proceeding.

This time, we weren't returning to Brisbane to put our hard hats on and help the community in times of need. Nope, this time we were returning to Brisbane to spend some much needed R&R time with my family.

I, being the female that I am, was getting tired.
I was tired of getting out the map each morning, calculating our route and figuring out where we were going to sleep that night.
I was tired of cooking dinner in a makeshift kitchen with insufficient lighting.
I was tired of feeling dirty and grubby 99% of the time.
I could feel myself getting exhausted from the trip, in a way that I don't think anyone else would understand until they spend 8 months of their lives in the shoes of another nomad. I needed to feel normal, just for a little while. I needed to go home and remind myself that there is still a 'normal life' waiting for us at the other end of the trip.


We enjoyed a lovely weekend at the Gold Coast with my Dad & Cheryl in their new apartment... definitely two thumbs up for R&R time.. it was VERY tough ;)


Tommy broke into his clothes stash that were in storage in Brissie. It's official, you know you've lost weight when you need to use zip ties to hold your jeans up. (If only I had the same problem!!)

We spent a total of two weeks in Brisbane. Tom worked for my brother as one of his minions / wombats for his structural landscaping & carpentry business. I stayed at home with my little nephews (3 years old & 1 year old) and attempted to help their very patient mother in any way possible.


Tom's filthy tradie snap...


Those soft Geologist hands needed a bit of roughening up...




Angus has mastered the art of planking...


While Chef Mitchell managed to teach me a thing or two about cooking the perfect pancakes...

Two weeks in Brisbane with my family helped me realise that while people may get a little older or taller or move house or change their jobs, they're still the same person you left behind and they'll be there when you get back. And when you do finally see each other again, you just have a lot more to talk about than usual.

I also realised that we're not ready to go back to reality. While it can get tough and exhausting at times, we still have so much more to see and do over the course of the final leg of our trip. We need to enjoy being unemployed and not having to answer to 'the man' everyday. We need to enjoy being carefree and to embrace the idea of not knowing where we'll be in twelve hours time.

We need to enjoy it all while it lasts because very soon it will all be over and this huge adventure will just be a collection of shared memories, interesting photos and past stories written on a blog.


Our one and only night out with friends was spent at the Brookie Show... 
Millie, Daniel & Tommy.. Tom went to uni with Dan and hadn't seen him for three years so that was a much loved catchup.

Dan, Binko Tiger & Tommy...

The challenge was to crush a beer can with your foot to see who could get the most even, flat & circular can.
Steel capped boots proved to be a definite advantage...



I thought these photos were supposed to be of the cans but looking back, I think the boys were a little bit more interested in something else Binko Tiger had on offer that night...



Last but certainly not least - Henry Hunter. Henry was one of those crazy buggers who jumped on the back of an angry bull hanging on for dear life... or at least for three seconds. Yes, Henry is officially the craziest friend we have. I'm just glad he got out of the bull ring in one piece...
In the words of Henry himself, "Don't blink or else you'll miss me"... blinking aside you're the one that at least got on that beast in the first place!! First class effort HH.Yep, good one Virgin Blue. Check out the box of cold noodles (A.K.A box of plastic and carrots) that Tom paid $9 for on the plane! Pathetic... Yuck!This boulder opal was found in land fill while Tom & Stu were fixing a fence... as you do! Tom's been busy slicing it up and making some pendants for necklaces.. I wonder who will benefit from this little venture ;) 

No comments: