Leading up to the big departure


Two days prior to setting off an a big trip like ours, you’d like to think that you were at a point of just crossing your t’s and dotting your i’s. But not for us, Charlie the Troopcarrier had to let us know that there was just one final bit of mechanical love for us to show him before he was ready to go.

The Friday before our Sunday departure, at 1pm, I had just finished the big grocery shop (2.5 hours later) I loaded all the bags in the Troopie, jumped in to fire it up and it wouldn’t even tick over (good one Amy – helps if you turn the lights off).

Once RACQ came to jump start it and after a visit to the mechanic straight afterwards, I was to be told that we needed a new alternator and we had absolute buckleys of getting it fixed for Sunday’s departure considering it was so later on a Friday afternoon. FANTASTIC! Just what I wanted to hear.

So I drove Charlie down to Toowong Auto Electrics in Milton, right on the verge of break down. I could have hugged Ray when he told me he’d come in on his day off tomorrow to fix it for us and gave me the keys to his “run-around” car to use in the meantime. So after a very last minute little hurdle, Troopie was back on track all thanks to the kindness of one person who no doubt just wanted to get some emotionally unstable nutcase out of his shop.

The big pack on Saturday arvo was a lot of fun – was quite the family affair particularly thanks to two little helpers both under 2 feet tall who we will miss very much.

No comments: